Spikeball appeared on our radar while at a family graduation party.
Our eyes were glued to the teams as they played this game that appeared to us like a funky version of volleyball.
We immediately did some research and were surprised to discover that Spikeball has quite a fantastic following!
In fact, Spikeball is THE new competition sport and yard game and has become even more well-known for its appearance on the television show Shark Tank.
History of Spikeball
The CEO of Spikeball, Chris Ruder, first discovered the game in the 1980s.
However, the first set was not sold until 2008. By 2013, Spikeball had gained so much popularity that the owner was able to quit his day job and focus on marketing Spikeball.
The game is a team sport, which consists of two teams of two players.
When the game is started, the two teams will line up adjacent to each other on opposite sides of the Spikeball net. One team will serve the ball from behind the boundary line. When the ball is served, it enables the players to move anywhere on their side of the net.
The primary objective of the game is for the players to hit the ball into the net, which will prevent the opposing team from returning the ball.
Each team is allotted a maximum of three touches to return the ball to the opposing team, which is carried on until the ball is not returned correctly.
Spikeball has gained popularity with 250,000 individuals who currently play in the United States and around 1,000 teams that are ranked. Spikeball is thought to be so popular because it is a versatile game, which can be played competitively or casually.
If you want to get serious about the sport, check out the USA Spikeball, where you’ll find up to date team rankings and tournaments.
Spikeball Official Rules
What are the Guidelines for Spikeball Setup?
Spikeball has guidelines for setup before play can commence.
There are many setup rules and guidelines that must be adhered to before play begins, which include:
- The ball that is played with must be 12 inches in circumference.
- The tension of the spikeball net must be consistent throughout the game.
- The team who gets to serve will be decided through a game of rock, paper, scissors.
- Before the winning team serves, the players that are not receiving the ball must be at least six feet from the net.
- When the ball is served, the players can then move anywhere they want.
- A team will give up possession when the ball makes contact with the net.
- If sunlight hinders a team’s ability to play, then the teams will switch sides halfway through the game.
The game can be played on the sand or grass. In the event the game will be played on the grass and one team has on cleats and the other team is barefoot, then a game of rock, paper, scissors will be played. If the winning team is barefoot, then the other team will have to remove their cleats. If the team with cleats wins the game of rock, paper, scissors, then the other team will need to wear shoes.
Scoring will determine which team is the winner of the game.
Spikeball has rules to determine fair scoring, which include:
- Once the game begins, points can be earned by the receiving team or the serving team.
- The game is played until one team reaches 21 points, but a team must win by two points.
- When one team reaches 11 points, the teams will changes sides.
There are several ways for a team to score points, which include:
- The ball hits the rim of the net even during a serve.
- A team allows the ball to hit the ground on their side of the net.
- A team is not able to hit the ball back within three hits.
- A team is not able to bounce the ball of the net in a single bounce.
- A team performs an illegal serve.
Spikeball Serving Rules and Guidelines
Serving is a big part of Spikeball, and there are many rules that must be followed in order for a serve to be considered successful.
The serving rules and guidelines for Spikeball are:
- Before a serve takes place, the receiving team will set their position. The server must stand directly adjacent to the receiving player. The receiving player is the only person who can take the serve.
- Before the ball is hit, it must be tossed from the server’s hand. Under no circumstances can the ball be hit directly from the server’s hand, which is considered an illegal serve. In the case the server is unhappy with the toss of the ball, then he or she will need to allow the ball to fall to the ground. In this circumstance, he or she will have one additional chance to toss the ball for a successful serve.
- Before serving, a player must be six feet from the service line. It is allowed for a server to lean over the service line, but under no circumstance is the server’s feet allowed to cross the service line. If the server’s feet cross the service line, then it is considered an illegal serve.
- The player who serves is allowed to take a pivot step, but he or she is not allowed to move laterally beyond the pivot.
- The server is allowed to serve with a drop shot.
- When a player serves the ball, it must be served below the receiver’s hand. If the receiver is able to catch the ball, then it has to be played. In the event the serve is too high, the receiver must state “let” before the ball is touched. If the receiver fails to call “let,” then play will continue.
- In order to be considered a successful serve, the ball must clear the net. In the case the ball does not bounce the way it should, the receiver must call “let” before the ball is touched. If this happens, the serving team has one more opportunity for a successful serve. If the server fails to serve properly, then the serving team will lose the point.
- When the ball makes contact with the rim during the serve, there is a possession change and the opposing team will receive a point.
- All four players must serve during a game, and the server will change when a rally is won by the team that is receiving.
Spikeball Rules for Contact
Spikeball has rules for contacting the ball, which include the following:
- Contact with the ball must alternate between team members.
- The ball is not allowed to be thrown, caught, or lifted under any circumstance. During spikeball, the ball must be hit and a player must not hit the ball with both hands at the same time.
- A player is allowed to hit the ball with any part of his or her body, but is not allowed to contact the ball two consecutive times before it is returned to the opposing team.
- In the event the two teams are not able to determine if the ball hit the rim, then there must be a replay without question.
- When the ball hits the net, it must be a single bounce. In order for the play to be successful, the ball must clear the rim completely.
When teams play spikeball, there are rules that must be followed.
There are infractions that can occur during play, which include:
- Players must wait until their turn to return the ball. If a receiving player contacts the ball when it is not his or her turn, then the team will lose the point.
- The defensive team players must attempt to move out of the offensive team players way. When a defensive team member gets in the way of the opposing team, then the player that is blocked will call “hinder” and there will be a replay. If the offensive team player fails to call “hinder,” then play will continue.
- When a receiving team player hits his or her teammate with the ball, the point will be lost. When a receiving team player hits the ball of the net and then makes contact with the ball, the team will lose the point.
Spikeball is an entertaining game that is rapidly gaining popularity.
Spikeball is making its way into physical education classes in schools throughout the United States and has even become popular among college students. From casually playing on the beach to competing in tournaments, Spikeball is a sport that can be played by anyone who wants to have fun and be active.
You can get Spikeball at Amazon.